PREPARING FOR YOUR SCAN
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your exam is scheduled to complete any paperwork. If you are more than 20 minutes late for your scan, you will be rescheduled. PET/CT scans take about 90 minutes.
LET US KNOW
- If you are claustrophobic, please contact the ordering physician prior to your scan and request medication.
- If you are pregnant or possibly might be, or if you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before your scan.
- If you currently have or have had a recent infection, please call our office before your scan.
- If you need to cancel your scan, please call our office the day before your scan.
- The meal you eat before your scan should be low in carbohydrates.
- Drink at least six glasses of water during the 24 hours prior to your appointment. However, stop liquids other than plain water six hours before you arrive for your scan.
- DO NOT EAT or DRINK anything other than water six hours before you arrive. Please do not chew gum, suck on mints/lozenges/cough drops, or drink any coffee.
- If you are a tobacco user, do not smoke or use tobacco at least 12 hours prior to your scan.
- Do not do any strenuous activities such as weight lifting, aerobics, running or sports of any kind 24 hours prior to your scan.
- It is acceptable to take most medications UNLESS YOU HAVE DIABETES. If you have diabetes, please call our office for instructions. If you take diuretics (water pills), please call your doctor to see if it is safe to discontinue taking them on the day of your exam.
- Wear warm comfortable clothing that has no metal. You will be asked to remove all metal objects including snaps, zippers, buckles and jewelry prior to your scan.
THINGS TO BRING
- Bring your current insurance card(s) and photo ID along with a copay/payment for service.
- We have television in the room. You may want to bring a book or music.